Friday, July 9, 2010

CSI: Hancock County


It's not intentional that mum has been my word this week. Sometimes life just sweeps you up in a whirlwind of doings and goings on and you can't seem to extract yourself long enough to discern the common thread that runs through the whirlwind. On the 4th, I "un"surprised my mom by running the Peachtree with her. Long story short, I have been stealth training since January to run with her, but the cat got out of the bag a little early. Surprise or no surprise, it was still one of the best experiences of my life. To finish the day off Brad and I got to visit with his family and enjoy a little turkey BBQ all the way from Whitt's in Decatur, Alabama. Perfect Taste Sensation.

This week we're in the home stretch of readying the house for the arrival of 20 French People; Bretons, to be exact. Mom's bought all of the air mattresses in the greater Atlanta area, and we're scraping walls and windows, weed whacking, outdoor shower building, painting, fixing air conditioning units, hanging curtains, etc. Basically, we've voluntarily entered the realm of a TLC home improvement show, without the freebie budget or glam cam crew. It's a lot of old fashioned sweating.

Found beneath one of the walls after scraping.

Maybe this picture is morbid, but I have never seen a mole in my life, and
I walked up to Little Bud right after he killed this mole. I thought
the proportions of it's digging claws in relation to the rest of it's
body rather unbelievable, even though, the whole event was sad. He's
in hot water right now for killing a few of our pullets this morning.
Needless to say, this afternoon was devoted to finishing the dog pen.



The two photos above were taken of an old receipt ledger that goes back to
the days when the general store was buying many of their goods from the Macon
Grocery Co. The ledger, although I guess it's really more of an
organizational holder, is in really good condition and maybe one of the best
things we've found on the property. If she looks pretty in picture, just imagine
the patina on this gal in person.




1 comment:

  1. moles "play possum" too, or maybe, he's just napping

    ReplyDelete