Monday, February 7, 2011

Syrup of Figs.




Overcast day no. 27/34. Time to be thankful for the Lisa Frank sunset from Saturday and the camellia bush in bloom. The pigs rooted up the California Fig Syrup bottle in the woods behind the mule barn and it was in really nice condition. After a little investigating, it seems that these bottles are relatively common, but there's not much information on the company itself other than the fact that they were involved in a lawsuit regarding the use of the words "Syrup of Figs"... Apparently they had been using it a lot and they weren't too keen on sharing the phrase. "Syrup of Figs" does have a nice ring to it, does it not? I take it the judge didn't think so as he dismissed the California Fig Syrup Company's claim. I think I would have dismissed the claim based on the fact that trying to patent a laxative medicine from "California figs" is a waste of our judiciary system's time and just plain un- American.... or maybe, it's the most American thing you can do.

Enough nonsense. Looks like this week is going to be a busy one. Lots of press and farm doings. We finally got our goat situation under control by using electric netting to concentrate their grazing and keep the kids protected from coyotes. If you're thinking about getting in to the farming game, hobby or otherwise, Premier 1 fencing is going to be your best friend. Seriously, trade them your Fruit Roll-Up for their carrot sticks at lunch. They are that good.



Also, I've been working on some illustrations for the press' website. (see below) I think it's hard for people who don't know much about printmaking to understand exactly what letterpress is, or why it is different, and by different I mean better, than digital printing. I aim to change that through illustrations, you know, children's book style. (No, i'm not writing a children's book, though I fully intend to one day, it's just a turn of phrase I'm going to force into the lexicon. For example: If you're driving with your honey and they say "Darling, please slow down, make way for those ducklings crossing the street up ahead." You can then respond, "Oh, I am.... children's book style." I'm telling you it's going to be big, try it. And if you didn't understand what I just said click here.)


This looks like the press I print on!


And these look like the reason I'm always looking for the pencil sharpener!

No comments:

Post a Comment