Wednesday, May 26, 2010

G Club


Yeast, getting ready.


Award for most creative pizza goes to Mike.


G-club, herself, at the card table.

It's makeover week here at the farm, and i've enlisted my secret weapon to help everything along..... G Club. What's G Club you say? More like, who's G Club? G Club is the family's nickname for my mother. She's so amazing, she gets to be an entire club. Want to be a part of it? Yeah, me too. She's like a tornado of energy, painting rooms, sweeping chimneys, washing dishes, mopping floors, all before i've finished cleaning one bathroom. What a trooper, i've been trying to catch up on her skills for years.

Since we've basically kidnapped my mom for a week, we decided that today we'd take the afternoon off and host her weekly game of Progressive Rummy down here at the farm. The Progressive Rummy match takes place every Wednesday at George's, in Atlanta, with her two buddies Mike and Lynn. The three of them drink inordinate amounts of diet coke, ask for more than their designated share of Captain's Wafers, and laugh for about 3 1/2 hours through the various ups and downs of the game. It's a good time.

The home team decided to make some pizza from scratch (mainly to utilize all of that basil in the garden), and the away team brought an amazing tiramisu, the playing cards, and even more tomato plants for the garden. I think both winners and losers alike had fun, and before their departure, I got some gardening tips from my secretary of agriculture, Mike. We take our Progressive Rummy seriously around here.



The view from the top of the Tiramisu.


Garden Flower w/ companions.

1 comment:

  1. To: Megan Boling
    From: The Office of the Secretary of Agriculture
    Date: May 29, 2010

    Subject: Proper Identification of weeds

    Dear Megan:

    First, let me thank you for hosting an excellent card game, involving us in assembling our own pizza was smart, although I suspect it meant more work for you and Brad. Anddddd , , , I might be a little biased as the recipient of the prize given for the most creative pizza - while it looked good, it tasted better.

    The game tapes of that afternoon's card game are still under review, but at this point, it seems all played within, or almost within, the accepted rules. While Lynn's escalating complaints of not receiving the cards she needed may have approached the border of proper decorum, this has never been considered a rule violation. A closer case is made on listening to the audio, where it sounds like several of the players were teaming (aka ganging) up to thwart another player's fair play, and sometimes even giggling in a sinister manner, when this other player suffered a particularly foul hand. A deeply disturbing exhibition of how dark the soul of man or WOMAN may turn during a card game, no matter how briefly, no matter how warranted. In short, it appears to have been a well-played match, and my hat is presently off to you, the winner.

    On to the weeds. While touring the vegetable fields you have under cultivation, after successfully identifying the tomato plants (granted the cage is a give away), then plucking a radish, I stumbled badly on basically all the other stuff. I was not much help to one wishing to weed their garden. Most young plants under an inch tall look about the same to me. Don't despair, I think a horticulturist is going to drop by next week, and although the little I have learned I've learned under her tutorage, she knows more than me (about gardening).

    ReplyDelete